BROKEBACK REVISITED

 Doug Dunn


Introduction


These days we all have the opportunity to watch endless numbers of films on television. Being retired and in lockdown, even more so! What I enjoy is watching old classics for the second time because they seem so different. Why is that?

I think it’s mainly because I’ve forgotten the plot and made up my own, and partly because I'm older and different. When I first watched Brokeback Mountain[i] in 2005, I was shocked by its openness and the desperation brought about by cultural attitudes and prejudices. The film was set in 60s America, in Wyoming near to the Rocky Mountains. I see it now as a love story which could apply to any two people unable to create what they want. Today, the main characters Jack and Innis would be able to buy a sheep ranch together. They could live the dream Innis thought impossible at that time.

Another one of my favourite films is ‘Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner’[ii] directed by Stanley Kramer in 1967, a masterful study of social prejudices.

When I re-watched these films I wondered what might happen if Brokeback Mountain was set today (Not in lockdown!). I also recently listened to a radio play called ‘That Dinner of ‘67’[iii]. The play told the behind the scenes story of how Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner was made. In fact, the film very nearly didn’t get made because the main actor Spencer Tracy was very ill. Thanks to the generously and determination of Katharine Hepburn, the shooting of the film was able to continue. Sadly it was Spencer Tracy’s last film.  He died only days after the film opened. A few days later, in June 1967, a court issued a unanimous decision to end all race-based legal restrictions to marriage in the United States.

One of the few benefits of the Covid-19 pandemic is the time it has given us for creativity and imagination. Whether through art, music, poetry or creative writing, what is important is sharing with community. I hope you enjoy this story, an updated version of the original Brokeback Mountain.  


 

Scene One: Family lunch

 

(Alma’s house in ... The main living room centre stage, leading off stage to the kitchen.

The door bell rings twice and Alma Jr. runs to answer. Innis stands there. She hugs him.)

 

INNIS.        Let me lay my burden down, Junior..! My!

(Innes puts his backpack down in the hall and raises Alma Jr. off the ground giving her a big hug.)

INNIS.      Look how you’ve grown! You’re catching up with me.

ALMA JR.  Ma is cooking your favourite.

INNIS.        Chicken?

ALMA JR. No Turkey.

INNIS.        Wrong as ever!

ALMA JR. Oh, but we're having an early thanksgiving dinner. With you and Jack, Gran and Grandpa. I set the table for 8.

(Innis enters and looks about him. Alma comes in from the kitchen)

ALMA.       Good to see you Innis. It's been a while. Want some coffee? Lunch will be ready in half an hour so wash and get ready if you like.

INNIS.        Thank you. Is Jack on his way?

ALMA.       Yes he's coming with Mark. Is that ok?

(Alma Jr. turns to audience)

ALMA JR. Mark is my new dad. He loves being at home with our family. He's been with us for three years though Ma only got divorced a year ago. I don’t know why Dad left. All he says is he and Ma are different. He liked the country and she liked being at home. I don't like the country either but that doesn’t seem a reason to leave. I have trouble understanding grown-ups.

(The action continues)

INNIS.        I guess so.

(The front door is still open so Gran and Grandpa arrive)

 

GRANDPA. Innis. When are you going to get a real job?  You seem to like those sheep more than people!

GRAN.        (Inauthentic) Ignore him.

INNIS.        I’ll try (stands up and walks away from the table. The door bell rings)

 

GRANPAR. Jack, Mark! Come in. So what have you herded us up here for? Innis?

 

INNIS.        D’you think you can just hold your insults for one minute?

GRANDPA. You got something to say, boy?  I'll listen to whatever you have to say.

 (Pause)

INNIS.        Well it's not just me. Its jack, too. Jack and I've something to say. (Jack smiles at Innis). What we’ve decided is to buy our own sheep ranch the other side of Brokeback. We’ll be business partners working for ourselves. Jack's been saving and now we have enough to buy a ranch.

GRANDPA. That's a great plan son, but have you thought though this scheme of yours?

INNIS.        It's not just a scheme. It's what we want to do with our lives. We've been dreaming about this ever since we started working up on the mountain. I was always afraid what people would think...

JACK.        So what we thought is to invite you all to come and see our new ranch. And see how beautiful it is up on the mountain.

INNIS.        You can come and stay the whole weekend, as soon as we have the property deeds in our hands. What do you say? 

GRAN      Say something

GRANDPA. I’m thinking

JACK.        We took some shots.

INNIS.        I think it’ll work for us. It’s the ranch I’ve been dreaming about.  

(Jack show plans and photos of the new house. Light fades)

 

 

Scene Two: Running from school

 

(The bare space has been cleared. Projected on the back wall the outside and environs of Alma Jr’s school. At school Alma Jr. is chats happily with her best friend)

 

ALMA JR.  I'm so proud of my dad. The way he stood up to my Grandpa.

ROB.           (Shouting) Your dad’s a fagot!

ALMA JR.  (Shouting back) What do you mean by that?

ROB.           Your dad is gay!

ALMA JR.  (Punches Rob hard on his arm) You're gay. You fagot! How dare you say that!

ROB.           (Surprised) Don’t Alma!

ALMA JR.  Then don’t call my Dad a fagot!

ROB.      (Surprised) I didn't mean it.

ALMA JR.  I hate you. Just keep away from me!

ROB         Bitch!

(Rob runs off. She sits, clearly distressed. The light changes. Innis enters)

 

ALMA JR.  Dad!

INNIS.        I’ve been looking for you girl, what happened? Why are you still sitting here?

ALMA JR.    I hate Rob and this school!

INNIS.        What did he do to you?

ALMA JR.      He called you a fagot and I punched his arm. (Pause) What is a fagot? Do you know what did he mean?

INNIS.        Maybe we should go home for this..

ALMA JR. Why? What is it daddy?..

 

INNIS.        Well I guess it is time I told you.  Jack and I were planning to tell you anyway when we move into our ranch.

ALMA JR.      Tell me what?

INNIS.        Well, when we were working together, Jack and I got to know each other quite well. We realised we enjoyed spending time together.

ALMA JR.  There’s nothing wrong with that. I wish I had a really good friend like that. I used to think Rob and I could spend time together. So why did he say you’re a fagot?

INNIS.        It may be because people say me and Jack are a bit more than friends.

ALMA JR.      I remember now. He said you are gay. You and Jack are not homos are you?

INNIS.        As I said, I wanted to tell this to the whole family next week. But for now it can be our secret.

ALMA JR.  So you are gay. Is that what you are saying? Are you Dad?

INNIS.        Yes. Jack and I want to buy a ranch so we can live together. We love each other (Put arm around Alma Jr.)

ALMA JR.  How do you know you love him? Are you sure you’re not just very good friends?

INNIS.        After we finished work at Brokeback I didn’t see Jack for months and I realised I missed him, more than anyone else in my life. Then when he came over to our house he told me he felt the same as me. That’s when we started talking about getting a ranch together.

ALMA JR.  So you are going to live together like a couple, like being married?

INNIS.        Yes. Anyway, we’ll have a much bigger place than we have now. You’ll be able to visit us any time you like. (Smile with confidence)

ALMA JR.  OK..

INNIS      Are you sure? Because this is a different thing, honey...

ALMA JR.  So I would have two homes, one with Ma and Mark and one with you and Jack.

 

INNIS.        (Put arms around Alma Jr. again) I’m glad you asked me. I’ve been putting this off for years and worried how to say tell you, Ma and Jenny.  You’re the first person I’ve said it too. It’s not bad! It’s just love.

ALMA JR. I think you’re really brave to say you are gay. I am proud of you Dad. I told my friend at school that you are brave. That’s what started all the fighting. I feel really happy now I understand why you left Ma and your plans and all. I love you Dad.

INNIS.        I love you too Junior. Now do you feel happy about going back in there?

ALMA JR. I do. Shall I keep it a secret for now? I’m happy to do that.

INNIS.        Yes. Otherwise Ma and Grandpa will hear before I get to tell them.

ALMA JR.    Walk me home daddy

INNIS      Sure.

(The lights fall. From the dark we hear Alma Jr talk to us:))

ALAMA JR. [When I woke up the next day, I felt joy in my heart. I remembered what Dad said to me. Finally, I understood why he left. It was nothing to do with me or Ma or my little sister Jenny. Dad was not able to live with us because his life was for Jack. There was nothing wrong anymore.]

 

Scene Three: The next morning

(Alma Jr. finishes dressing as she bursts into the lounge. Alma comes out of the kitchen with her breakfast, to serve her and jenny, who is already there.)

 

ALMA.       Hey Alma J. What makes you so happy this morning?

ALMA JR. I don’t know. Just feeling happy. (Steal a toast off Jenny's plate and sit at the head of the table where her Dad used to sit. Jenny is happy as always)

JENNY.      Hey that's mine!

ALMA JR. Don't worry I'll making some more in a minute.

JENNY       All right then.

ALMA JR. I saw Dad yesterday.

JENNY.      When?

ALMA JR.  After school. Ma, when are we going to see Dad’s new ranch?

ALMA.       He said something about next weekend.

JENNY.      He's coming round on Saturday morning to pick us up. We're going to have a sleep over in his new ranch!

ALMA.       Is that right Jenny? And who else is invited to this sleep over? (Smiling)

ALMA JR.  Everyone! Dad wants to tell you and Grandpa and Gran something.

ALMA.       (Sit next to Alma Jr. at the table.) What does he want to tell me?

ALMA JR.      I can't say. He said it’s our secret. (Annoyed)

ALMA.       I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Your Dad doesn’t usually do anything for us and suddenly he has a big secret announcement to make.

ALMA JR.      It's not like that Ma. Why can't you be happy for Dad? (Feeling strong and confident, grown up. Gets up and put two slices of bread in the toaster.)

ALMA.       I know the secret.

JENNY.      What is it?

ALMA.       I think he's found a new lady friend. That's it. That's his secret!" (Upset then happy to have figured out the secret.)

ALMA JR.      Let's wait till the weekend. Ma, please don't say anything to Dad. I didn't want to spoil his plans. He's really happy now. Can't we all be happy for Dad?

ALMA.       Things are different now Alma J. You should be thinking more about Mark. He's your Dad now.

ALMA JR.      Step-Dad. Mark is our step-Dad. Mark is also coming on Saturday. So we are thinking about him.

ALMA.       Ok let's talk more about it next weekend. I will try to be happy about Innis.

ALMA JR.      (Happy) Thanks Ma. I'm looking forward to us all being together again.

ALMA.       Good. Now finish off your breakfast. It's almost time for school. (Put arms round both daughters). I'll see you both later for lunch. Take care down the lane.

ALMA JR.      (Smile at Jenny as Alma fetches the school bags from the other room)

 

(Speaking to the audience)

ALMA JR.      I felt joy again and looked forward to seeing my school friends, even Rob. School seemed different. Apart from no longer being afraid of Rob, I noticed new people and enjoyed listening to them. I even listened to my teachers differently. I didn't understand what was different but knew it was something to do with Dad. And I knew this is how I wanted life to be. That week flew by and I became more exited as the weekend approached.

 

(The lights fall.)

 

Scene Four: The Ranch

 

(It’s Saturday morning in the family home. Jenny and Alma Jr. are packed and ready with overnight clothes and sleeping bags. They hear their dad’s horn sounding twice prompting them run outside to greet him. Innis and Jack are sitting in the front of the car and the Alma Jr and Jenny jump in the back.)

ALMA JR.      Hi Jack. Dad! Will we be going camping tonight?

JENNY.      Will we be sleeping on the mountain?

INNIS.        If you want. It gets cold out there so you can stay in the ranch if you prefer.  

ALMA JR.      We want to be outside as long as there are no bears.

JACK.        Don’t worry, you never see them at the ranch site. But you might see some coyotes!”

JENNY.      Really. How dangerous are coyotes?

JACK.        Don’t worry about them either. They only go for lambs.

JENNY.      Poor lambs. That’s horrible!

(Laughing and enjoying the road trip into the mountains)

JACK.        Have you ever been camping before Alma J?

ALMA JR. Not really. We tried once in the garden but I came in when it got dark.

JACK.        It’s dark up at Brokeback. But the stars are real bright!

INNIS.        Yes. It’s like you can reach out and touch them.

JENNY.      I can’t wait!

(backdrop scene of  snow-peaked mountains with white and brown colours looking beautiful on the horizon. Car approaches a building) 

INNIS.        (Call out) There it is. Brokeback Ranch. Our new home!

(They park outside then walk towards the house while Alma Jr. stays in the car)

INNIS.        Come on Junior! Come and see the ranch.

(Alma Jr. leaves the car and slowly walks towards them.)

ALMA JR. Dad, can you tell Jenny the secret now? Before we go in?

JENNY.      What secret?

JACK.        Innis. What are they talking about? What secret?

INNIS.        Last week, Junior was upset when a boy at school called me a fagot.

JENNY.      A fagot? What’s that?

INNIS.        Your sister asked the same question and was so upset she ran off from school.

JENNY.      I know. She got into trouble for missing a lesson. I would never dare to do that.

INNIS.        She was upset with what a boy said about me. That’s why she needed to speak to me. (Sits down on a step in front of the porch then Jenny sits next to him.) What I said was that Jack and I have become very close friends and Junior said she wished she had good friends. Then I said we had become more than just friends and wanted to live together.

JENNY.      I understand Pa. You like being together. You’re like brothers.

INNIS.        Yes Jenny. Like loving brothers. We love each other and want to live together. When we were apart I was always thinking of Jack and looking forward to our next trip. I found it difficult to be fully with Ma and you. I’m sorry I was like that. I see now what it must have been like having a dad so unhappy.

JENNY.      (Surprised to see him so upset.) I noticed you stopped playing with us. I stopped enjoying us being together but I didn’t know why. (Tearful) So is that why you left Ma? To love Jack instead of Ma?

INNIS.        Yes Jenny. I love Ma and I love you and Junior but I love Jack in a different way.

ALMA JR.      (Look down at Jenny) And that’s the secret, Jack and Dad are going to live up here on the mountain ranch and Mark and Ma are going carry on living in our house. So we’ll have two houses to play in! Isn’t that good?

JENNY.      (Putting arms around Innis.) I suppose so. We can have sleepovers in two places!

 ALMA JR.  Thank you Dad. Can we look round the house now?

(Innis opens the door and they go upstairs enjoying all the spacious rooms and kitchen and the magnificent views of the mountains.)

(The next moment a car pulls up the drive. Jenny runs out calling to say it was Ma and Mark. Soon they are in the kitchen drinking coffee, Jenny and Alma Jr. lemonade and Jack preparing the dinner.)

ALMA.       So Innis, what is the big secret? Do you have a new girlfriend we don’t know about?

INNIS.        So you heard about that. Thank you Junior for not saying what it was about. That is the main reason for inviting you up here. Apart from showing you our new place.

JENNY.      I love seeing the mountains, and I love this ranch.”

INNIS.        Thank you Jen. We’d love you both to come up here whenever you want. It’s more than a sheep herding ranch. We are planning to have stables and Jack’s building a children’s rodeo out there in the field. I’m going to grow organic veg.

ALMA.       So was that your secret? You are finally going to become a farmer? (Alma’s phone rings.) Hello. Hi Dad.

ALMA.       Jack. Guess who else is coming for dinner?

JACK.        Don’t worry we have plenty more stakes in the freezer.

ALMA JR. Two more places for Gran and Grandpa! That makes eight all together.

JACK.        (Stops cooking) What Innis was about to say was we are going to be partners. Not just for herding and farming. We are going to be civil partners.

ALMA.       What does civil partners mean?

 JACK.       When we stopped working, Innis and I really missed seeing each other. As you know we arranged fishing trips because we wanted to spend time together.

ALMA.       Don’t tell me about those trips. One thing you never caught was fish! So I guessed there was something going on,

INNIS.        Alma. I’m real sorry we pretended to go fishing those times. So, on our last trip we got to talking about staying up here permanently. We’d have to work more and save a lot, but now we’ve made it happen.

ALMA.       You did. But why didn’t you say why you were saving money? Why didn’t you tell me what you were doing?

INNIS.        I guess I was avoiding what else I would have to you all. It just seemed easier to get on with it and tell you later. Now I see it’s not such a problem to talk, even though we have separated.
(pause) Any now we’ve started to talk, it feels better being honest. I love Jack and we love each other in a way I never felt before. That doesn’t mean I don’t love our family. In fact, I feel closer to you, and I’ve never stopped loving Junior and Jen.

ALMA.       (Sound of a car pulling up) That must be Gran and Grandpa. They must have been on their way when they rang. Junior and Jenny, can you go and help them with their bags?

ALMA JR.      (Call out) OK. Hello Gran! That was quick. Come and see the new ranch.”

(Alma Jr. holds their bags while Jenny holds Grandpa’s hand.)

ALMA JR. Come and see. We are all in the kitchen.

(They enter the kitchen sensing there has been a family discussion.)

 INNIS.       Gandpa, Gran. There’s been a bit of a situation.

GRANDPA.    What kind of situation? Did someone die? What’s happened?

ALMA.       (speaking to Innis) Why don’t you and Pa take a walk in the garden?

GRANDPA.  Sure. This looks a fine place you’ve got yourself Innis. Why don’t you show me around?

INNIS.        (Walk towards Grandpa, look confident) Let’s face it Pa, we’ve never got on very well with each other. I’ve never felt good enough for you.

GRANDPA.    That’s not true. But you never seemed very interest in family. You’re always shooting off to these mountains. I could never figure out the big attraction about this place.

INNIS.        I know it looked like I wasn’t interested. But what really happened was I had found something new to care about. That’s the situation I was talking about. The person I have found is Jack.

GRANDPA.    (Shout) Why are you talking about Jack? The person to find should be Alma. What is all this nonsense you are talking?

INNIS.        This nonsense is my life! You and I see things differently. When you were young, it was unheard of for gay men to live together. It was illegal and dangerous to even think about it. You are from those days when everyone thought that way.

GRANDPA. That’s right. It was crazy to think of such things.

INNIS.        Exactly. In those days it was crazy nonsense. But these days it is possible. All over the world, gay men are living together.

GRANDPA.  Ok, so why did you get married and have children with my Alma? You must have known what you are.

INNIS.        You’re right. I did know. I made a mistake. But before long I was going down a road and couldn’t see how to stop. Perhaps if I’d had parents like ….

GRANDPA I’m sorry. I always forget your parents died when you were young. You’ve always been alone and it must be hard for you.

(Alma joins Innis and Grandpa.)

ALMA.       Innis, can we have a word?

(Alma an Innis walk past Gran and Jack in the kitchen and sit down in the living room.)

ALMA.       Innis, I have something to say that I’ve kept from you for years.

INNIS.        What is it?

ALMA.       I’ve known about you and Jack for a while. I once saw you holding and kissing each other. I was shocked and didn’t know what to say.

INNIS.        You saw us when Jack returned that time. So you’ve known how we feel about each other?

ALMA.       I do but I didn’t say I’ve known. At least you are talking now. The kids are so great around you now Innis.

INNIS.        I’m sorry for not talking before. I still love you Alma.

ALMA.       I know.

INNIS.        Alma, there’s someone else we should be talking to. (Returning to the kitchen) Mark, sorry to interrupt you and the girls. Can you join us in the living room?

MARK.       Sure I can. Junior and Jenny, would you help Gran set the table?

ALMA JR.  We’re already doing it.

MARK.       (Sits next to Alma and Innis) This is good for us all to talk. Get things out in the open.

INNIS.        Thanks Mark. I never thought I would say this but I am glad that you are with Alma and my daughters. I want you to be happy and this seems to be the way.

MARK.       Glad to hear that. I never feel very welcome around you but today seems different. I wish you all the best. Congratulations on your new ranching business up here.

INNIS.        Thank you Mark. Excuse me. (Stand up and call out to everyone in the garden and kitchen.) Everyone! Can you please stop talking? I have something to say!

GRANDPA. Go ahead son, everyone, listen to what Innis had to say!

Innis.           Thank you. (Standing in the middle of the sitting room with all the family sitting around him.)  I see it might be an upset for Gran and Grandpa to find their son-in-law is gay. I can understand that. And it’s been upsetting for Jack and me to hide how we feel. And for Alma Junior and Jen not to know why Ma and I split up.

ALMA.       (Also standing up) And I’m sorry for hiding it all. I could see what was going on but kept it to myself pretending it didn’t matter. Now I can see pretending didn’t help you at all. I’m sorry Alma J. 

ALMA JR.      I know Ma. It couldn’t have been easy for you looking after us on your own. This morning I felt so happy when I woke up and remembered I was coming here.  I remembered the week before, Dad explained why Rob called him a fagot and that’s when he told me his is gay. I finally understood why you left us. I used to think it was my fault and just wanted someone to explain what went wrong.  Now it makes sense. I’m happy for you and Jack.

GRANDPA.    Alma J, you’re a strong and brave girl to speak up. And that’s how it should be. We’re not in the dark ages any more. 60 years ago Innis and Jack would never be able to live together as a couple. But today they can and should, if that’s what they want. They should be free to choose how to live their lives like everyone else.

ALMA JR.      Well said, Grandpa, I love everyone in my family!

ALMA.       We do as well, I’m especially proud of my children for teaching us grown-ups a thing or two. Thank you all for coming here. Now Jack, when are we going to get some dinner?

(Everyone walk to the kitchen to take a place at the table.)

ALMA JR. (Joyful) So Dad, can I and Jenny still go camping on the mountain?

 

(The lights fall.)

 

Scene Five: House Warming Party

 

(Afternoon in the ranch following the family lunch - Jenny and Alma Jr. start collecting camping supplies. Jack and Innis holding blankets, sleeping bags and bucket of fire kindling.)


INNIS.        Do you want to help me put up the tents? The top field has great views of the mountains.

ALMA JR. Thanks Dad. Yes we'd love you to help us.

JACK.        (Carrying camping equipment) Makes sense before folk start coming for the barbeque tonight.

ALMA JR. You're going to love this Jenny!

JENNY.      I'm still worried about the bears and coyotes, though.

INNIS.        Don’t worry Jen. You'll be too close to the house for them to bother you.

ALMA JR.      I know. But we’re still frightens of bears.

INNIS.        Well I'll be with you when you go to bed and we'll work out what to do about the bears, Ok?

ALMA JR.  Thanks Dad.

JENNY.      Who else is coming to our house warming party?

INNIS.        We invited our friends and some of yours from school may come too.

JENNY.      Really! That will be amazing to see them up here.

INNIS.        Jack invited everyone in the bar to come so who knows?

(Everyone helps to set up the tents)

INNIS.        If we camp with you, there will be more room in the house for family and guests to stay over.

JENNY.      And you can protect us from the bears!

(After erecting the tents Jenny and Alma Jr. play with a ball on the grass and notice the blue sky and mountains.  Later they try out their sleeping bags.)

(When they awake they hear voices coming from the house.)

ALMA JR.      I can see smoke! It must be from the barbeque. Some people are here already! It’s so cosy in our tent. I can see why Dad likes camping here.

JENNY.      Me too. I’d like to stay here forever!

ALMA JR.  Not forever. But definitely stay tonight! Let’s start a fire and send smoke signals to Dad. (Starts gathering handfuls of straw and pieces of firewood.) Can you see the matches anywhere, Jen?

JENNY.      Here! And Jack left a bucket of logs. Over there, look! (Tie up the tent flap.)

ALMA JR.      Great! First we need some large stones to make our fire place. Come on, let’s look in the forest.

(Make a stone circle, placing firewood and straw in a pyramid shape. Light the fire and it is soon blazing. Warm by the fire and listen to the flames.)

ALMA JR.      Let’s wave to Jack.

(Jack starts walking over with food on a plate. Alma Jr set up our camping grill over the fire.)

JACK.        Here you are ladies. Steak burgers. The meat is already cooked but you can warm up these rolls. What a nice fire!

JENNY.      Thank you. (proudly) We went into the woods to find the stones.

ALMA JR.      Thanks Jack! Go and look in our tent. (Find three plates and cut the rolls.) This is so cool.

(After a minute they are eating burgers.)

ALMA JR.      Can we go for a hike up the mountain tomorrow Jack?

JACK.        I don’t see why not. It’ll be cold so wear jumpers. Let’s see in the morning who wants to come.

JENNY.      I’m going to come, Jack, who are the people down by the ranch?

JACK.        I recon there will be a lot of new folk. Even the sheep farmer we worked for is here. And some parents from your school have come to see what’s going on.

ALMA JR.  Oh no! I hope Rob’s family don’t come.

JACK.        I guess you don’t like Rob very much do you? What has he done?

ALMA JR. He said horrible things about Dad.

JACK.        Is he the boy that called Innis a fagot?

ALMA JR. Yes. I still hate him for saying that!

JENNY.      He’s not so bad Alma J. I think he quite likes you.

ALMA JR.  (Calling out) Oh shut up!

JACK.        Well. Sounds like you two have some talking to do. It may be good if he comes so he gets a chance to apologize. What he said may not have been nice. But it was true! We are both gay and there’s nothing wrong with that. Rob didn’t say it very well but maybe you can forgive him?

ALMA JR. He certainly didn’t. It had nothing to do with him!

JACK.        Perhaps he just wanted to try and talk to you.

ALMA JR.  (Thoughtfully) Thank you Jack. I suppose if it wasn’t for Rob, I would never have talked to Dad and found out why he left us.

JACK.        That’s right! Now you can even look forward to having some fun dancing and singing tonight.

ALMA JR. Oh Jack, that’s another thing. Can you show me how to dance? I find it so embarrassing! And you always look so good. (Stand up away from the fire.)

JACK.        Well I can show you a simple one. Come and stand here.

(Jenny plays country songs on her phone and joins in with our dancing.)

JACK.        Now just follow me and follow to the music.

(Jack and Alma Jr slow dance around the grass) 

JACK.        I guess they’ll be wondering where I got to. See you later for another dance after you get yourselves ready. (Heading back to the house. Alma Jr. and Jenny get themselves dressed helping each other put on their makeup.)

(Alma Jr. and Jenny walk towards the house and start meeting people)

JENNY.       (Calling out) Hi Grandpa and Gran!

GRANDPA.  Hello campers! I hear you’ve been dancing!

ALMA JR. (Embarrassed) Who told you? I didn’t want people to know about that.

GRANDPA.     (Smile) Well I’ve heard you dance very well.

ALMA JR. Thanks Grandpa. Hi Mark!

MARK.       How’s your tent? Was it warm in your sleeping bags?

JENNY.      Really cosy in mine! We’ve going to sleep outside tonight.

ALMA JR. We love camping. Thank you for letting us do it.

ALMA.        If you’re warm enough then you can sleep out tonight. I’m staying in the house!

ALMA JR. Dad and Jack are going to sleep in the other tent.

ALMA.       Really?

JENNY.      Yes they are going to protect us from the bear!

MARK.       Don’t worry about that.

ALMA JR.      We’ll feel much safer with them camping with us. You are still our parents but so are Dad and Jack. From today we have two sets of parents. Did Dad say we are hiking up the mountain in the morning? This is such a wonderful weekend!

ALMA.       As long as they remember it’s winter. There’s deep snow up there. Now come and have some more food. People have bought so many puddings!

(Kept looking around to see if Rob is there. Music is playing loudly and people are dancing. Jack comes over and hands Alma Jr a bottle of beer.)

JACK.        Tonight you are allowed to drink. Let’s toast our new life in the mountains! Are you ready to dance?

ALMA JR.  You bet! Come on Jack.

(Others join in and the room fills with people dancing. Alma Jr remembers the dance turns Jack taught her.)

(Alma Jr spots Jenny dancing and talking to with Rob.)

( Notice the sheep farmer who sees he’s been spotted.)

SHEEP FARMER.  What happened Jack? Are you back with girls now instead of homos?

JACK.        Excuse me Alma J. (Walk quickly over to the sheep farmer and call out loudly.) I hope you were joking Mr!

SHEEP FARMER.  Why what are you going to do about it fagot?

(Jack gets angry, Alma Jr. looks worried that a fight is about to start.)

ROB.           (Call out) He’s not a fagot! Jack and Innis are gay, that’s all. And they are great parents!

SHEEP FARMER.  (Surprised and pauses realising young people have different views.) I take it back. This lad is right. I’m not used to all this. I’m sorry Jack, sorry Innis.

INNIS.         (Call out.) Apology accepted! (pause) Now can we get on with the party?

(Alma Jr. feels proud of Rob. Runs over to give Rob a big loving hug. Rob is surprised then kisses Alma Jr.)

ROB.           (Fills up his glass and makes a toast to everyone in the room) Listen up everyone! Let’s raise our glasses to Jack and Innis and to the Brokeback Ranch!

 

(Lights fade and Alma Jr speaks to audience)

ALMA JR. That was a day I will always remember. It was the day joy came back into my life. Rob and I are together and we are so grateful to our family. Dad for being honest and brave, allowing people to think in new ways, Jack for becoming a new Dad and friend me and Jenny. Even the Sheep Farmer for changing his ways and working with our family on the new ranch. All it took was being brave and willing to talk. And there were no bears that night!

 

-----

 



 



[i] Brokeback Mountain – Directors: Ang Lee, Writer: Annie Proulx, Screenplay: Larry McMuurtry, Diana Ossana 

[ii] Guess Who’ Coming to Dinner – Writer: William Rose

[iii] ‘That Dinner of ‘67’ - BBC Radio 4 https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qmpc

Comments

  1. If included in Connecting Through Corona 2 I'm thinking of setting the story in Wales and calling it Brecon Back Mountain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID LOCKDOWN BLUES

Road to Recovery by Anna Vilchis

THE DEATH AND LIFE OF THE GREAT ENGLISH HIGH STREET