LETTER TO MY 14 YEAR OLD SELF

Doug Dunn

Dear Dougie

It must be very strange to receive a letter from your older self! It’s something I’ve been asked to do by my Writing for Enjoyment teacher 50 years in your future. How are you? I often think about you but have never thought of writing you a letter.

I know writing isn’t one of your strengths. You prefer reading about things like stars and planets and nature. You are finding English lessons a bit of a mystery, without the facts and figures found in the sciences. But it does get better. You’ll learn to write essays and a whole dissertation and get over your fear of reading aloud.  In fact, I’m reading this letter out aloud right now in a café to my writing group. I’ve even shown them a photo of you.

I also know life seems tough with the schoolwork and also the bullying. I now know it used to happen a lot in boys schools, even by school teachers. Don’t worry too much, it will stop quite soon.

Then there’s all the mystery around girls. You don’t get many chances to meet girls but you will very soon. This summer you are going abroad for the first time – to Spain! And you are going to meet your first girlfriend. I don’t remember her name now but in one of those photos you are sitting next to her on the beach. She has ginger hair and looks very pretty. You don’t look bad yourself with all that long black hair.

A few years ago I moved to Devon. Remember Torquay was one of your favourite holiday places? I enjoy living on my own but sometimes feel a bit lonely. It reminded me of how I used to feel at your age. Though, recently I spent a week with my new partner after being apart for months. We are going through a huge virus pandemic at the moment. Don’t ask! It mean’t we could only see each other online so it was lovely to finally spend time together.

In a few years you will meet another girlfriend and go out together on weekend dates in Nottingham.  Life gets better! You will do well in your exams and go to university. Enjoy your school days even if it feels hard right now. You have so much going on! It makes me realize how lucky I am. I get to do all the things I love; bridge, tennis, table tennis and art with lovely people!

My only regret is losing my memory. So, when you meet your first girlfriend in Spain this summer, please make a point of writing down her name. Then you can tell me when you reply to this letter!

With love from your future self,

Doug

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID LOCKDOWN BLUES

Road to Recovery by Anna Vilchis

THE DEATH AND LIFE OF THE GREAT ENGLISH HIGH STREET